Thursday, April 9, 2009

Consumer Waste


Consumer Waste

The market is filled with giant boxes packaged with, let’s face it, very small amounts of food in them –food generally packaged inside a plastic bag, and often including a second plastic or foil flavoring packet.

Buying bulk not only gives you more bang for your bucks, but assures you’re using as little packaging as possible. I store my bulk dry goods in reusable glass canning jars. The food stays fresh and seeing what’s in the pantry is very easy.

The only problem is what to do with the plastic bags and twist ties bulk food comes in?

The only answer I have come up with is to start making my own pasta, which I hope to do soon. I’ll be scouring ebay before I buy full price. Until I find what I am looking for –and the money needed to buy it, I will share this machine free, easy to make noodle recipe.

The shells can be rolled with whatever you like: cheeses, meats, vegetables –spinach is especially good in manicotti. Put in a baking dish drizzled with olive oil, cover with a layer of sauce, back at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Enjoy!

Homemade Manicotti Shells
· 3 eggs
· ¾ cup water
· ½ teaspoon salt
· 2½ tablespoons oil
· ¾ cup flour
Beat all ingredients together with an electric mixer until as smooth as pancake batter. Season an 8-inch non-stick skillet with oil. Use a ¼ cup measuring scoop and fill it ¾ full. Pour that amount into center of skillet and tip skillet around to form a thin pancake that fills the bottom of the pan. Cook over moderate to low heat until bubbles appear. Quickly flip it over, making certain that batter does not brown like a pancake. Remove from skillet and stack on a plate until ready to fill.



No comments:

Post a Comment